Brent Giauque is a partner of the firm emphasizing his practice on issues of corporate and limited liability company law, including such issues as corporate reorganizations and mergers and acquisitions. His practice also focuses on commercial and business transactions (such as joint venture agreements and other business transaction documents), third-party legal opinions/letters, executive employment and consulting agreements, employment termination/settlement agreements and non-competition agreements. Brent also represents and advises attorneys and law firms concerning matters of professional ethics and professional responsibility.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Brent was with VanCott, Bagley, Cornwell & McCarthy in Salt Lake City, as an associate (1970-1975), shareholder (1975-1998), chair of the Corporate, Finance and Real Estate Section, board member and vice president (1994-1998).
- Brent regularly advises a Poland-based corporation concerning the internal operations of a Utah corporation in which the Polish corporation has a majority ownership interest.
- Brent represented a Utah-based transportation company concerning the restructuring of its internal corporate operations and prepared or oversaw the preparation of the relevant corporate documents including a voting agreement, shareholders agreement, Articles of Restatement of the Articles of Incorporation, and Bylaws.
- Brent reviewed and advised our client concerning the implications of certain corporate restructuring documents including a buy-sell agreement shareholders agreement proposed by another shareholder of the corporation.
- Brent counseled an energy company concerning the methods available under the Utah Revised Business Corporation Act to effect a change in the name of the corporation.
- Brent is client lead for a major advertising agency in Utah and regularly assists it in legal matters including the preparation of its advertising agency services agreement and website development services agreement.
- Most recently, Brent prepared the employment agreement utilized by the CEO of an advertising agency who, as the principal shareholder of the agency, was selling the agency in an auction process as his exit strategy.
- In connection with the sale of one of our client's businesses to an out-of-state buyer, Brent reviewed and commented on the form of non-competition agreement proposed by the buyer to be executed by the key members of management of the target company.
- Brent assisted with the sale of Envirocare of Utah, Inc., and prepared the third-party legal opinion of Stoel Rives LLP delivered to the buyer at closing.
Professional Ethics and Responsibility
- Brent is currently assisting one of his litigation partners concerning ethics and professional responsibility issues in a lawsuit brought against a major Salt Lake City law firm and one of its partners.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Named Best Lawyers' 2011 Salt Lake City Corporate Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Corporate Law), 2007, 2009-2013
- Listed in the 2011 Utah Business "Legal Elite"
- AV rating with Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in 2007 Mountain States Super Lawyers directory
- Member, Utah State Bar
- Member, Salt Lake County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- University of Utah College of Law, J.D., 1970
Order of the Coif
Assistant Editor, Utah Law Review
- University of Utah, B.A., 1968, cum laude
Print to Word