Guy A. Randles
Guy Randles is a senior partner in the firm's Construction and Design section and Development Law group. With extensive contract negotiation, claims, litigation, and mediation experience, he concentrates his practice principally on construction, design and public procurement matters and those companies involved with the construction and design industry. Guy has successfully represented a full range of clients in major development projects throughout the geographic area. Guy is also in much demand as a mediator and arbitrator to resolve third party disputes. A native Portlander, Guy has been active in numerous bar and community activities.
- Interim construction counsel for $1.5 billion Transbay Joint Powers Authority project in San Francisco.
- Lead counsel for design and construction contracts for multiple office and commercial buildings and medical facilities in the Portland area.
- Lead counsel in litigation matters involving construction defects on major projects.
- Mediator and arbitrator for multiple construction-related disputes (Oregon and Washington).
- Lead counsel for local cities in litigation over major public works projects.
- Lead counsel in arbitration over construction joint venture dissolution.
- Lead counsel in arbitration concerning construction of Washington jail project.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Construction Law, Litigation - Construction), 2003-2013
- Listed in Oregon Super Lawyers® (Construction/Surety), 2006-2013
- Member of practice group nationally ranked Tier 1 for Construction Law by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" 2010-Present
- Member and Chair, Oregon Commission on Judicial Fitness and Disability
- Member and past legal counsel to Board of Directors, Oregon-Columbia Chapter of the Associated General Contractors
- Oregon State Bar, Judicial Administration Committee
- Construction forum member, American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Annual Oregon Construction Law, The Seminar Group, 2002-2012
- Co-Chair, Competitive Construction Bidding Conference, The Seminar Group, 2011, 2012
- Member, Construction Law Section, Oregon State Bar
- Member, Arbitrator and Mediator Panels, American Arbitration Association
- Public Procurement and Private Construction Law Section, Washington State Bar
- "The Litigation Process: An Upper Division School of Hark Knocks," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2012
- "You Can't Make This Stuff Up: The Human Condition Meets Construction Law," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2012
- "Don't Ignore the Importance of Your Contracts-The Courts Won't," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2011
- "Who Can Afford to Litigate These Days? Use ADR," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2010
- "Contractors React to Changing Conditions," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2010
- "Legal Relationships Between Owner/Design Professional/Prime Contractor/Subcontractors/Suppliers," Construction Law, Oregon State Bar CLE 1989, 1997, 2004, 2010
- "Contracts and Payment are Tied Together," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2009
- "Being Forewarned is Being Forearmed," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2008
- "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished with Performance Bonds," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2008
- Aftermath of Bridge's Collapse: Here Come the Lawyers," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2007
- "With Slowdown Approaching, Time to Put up the Guards," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2006
- "Project Delayed May Be Damages Denied," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2006
- "Cost-Plus Contracts' True Cost not Obvious," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2006
- "Liquidated Damages," Construction Law Handbook, Aspen Law
- "A Trap for the Unwary: Joint Ventures Must Have Their Own Contractor's Licenses," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2005
- "Negotiating Construction Contracts for Owner—Top 15 Issues in AIA Contracts," Multnomah Bar Association, 2005
- "Oral Contract Worth the Paper It's Not Written On," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2005
- "Notice and Claim Procedures: Claimant Beware, Especially in Washington," The Daily Journal of Commerce, 2004
- "Performance Bonds: What's to Say that the Surety Will Perform?," Real Estate Finance Journal, 2002
- "Construction Claims," Contractors' Management Guide, Oregon-Columbia Chapter of Associated General Contractors, 1991
- "Design-Build Projects: Fundamental Principles and Risk Allocations," Cambridge Institute, 1998
- Board of Directors, Oregon Geographic Names Board (currently)
- Past Board of Directors and former President, Oregon Historical Society
- Board of Directors and former Chairman, Catholic Charities
- Previous Co-Chair, Campaign for Equal Justice and current advisory committee member
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Oregon Independent College Fund; and board secretary
- Past Member, Board of Directors and former Chairman, Multnomah County Legal Aid Service
- Past Jesuit High School Board of Trustees and former Chairman
- Notre Dame Club of Oregon
- University of California (Berkeley), Boalt Hall School of Law, J.D., 1977
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1974, with highest honors
Phi Beta Kappa
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the Districts of Oregon and Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims