Andrea Thompson focuses her practice on employment defense litigation. She represents employers in administrative proceedings and state and federal courts in all areas of employment law, including discrimination and retaliation, wage and hour issues, workplace torts and contract disputes. Drawing on her litigation experience, Andrea also counsels employers on a variety of litigation prevention strategies.
In addition, Andrea advises schools, colleges and universities on state and federal regulatory and compliance matters. This experience includes representation before the U.S. Department of Education in federal civil rights enforcement actions and matters related to Title IX and student privacy.
In 2011, Andrea conducted jury and bench trials as a Special Prosecutor for the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office through the American Trial Lawyers' College Jury Trial Experience Program.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Andrea was a summer associate at the firm; a law clerk for the Public Defender Services of Lane County and the Lane County Law and Advocacy Center; and a judicial extern to Lane County Circuit Court Judge Kip Leonard.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed among Rising Stars (Employment & Labor), Oregon Super Lawyers®, 2012-2013
- Recipient, Stoel Rives Pro Bono Award, 2009-2010; 2013
- Volunteer Attorney, Stoel Rives Pro Bono Night Clinic
- Member, Oregon State Bar Pro Bono Committee, 2010-2013
- Member, American Bar Association, Litigation and Labor and Employment Sections
- Member, Oregon State Bar, Litigation and Labor and Employment Sections
- Member, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, Multnomah County Bar Association
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Author, "Oregon Supreme Court Holds Employee's Detrimental Reliance on Employer's Statement Created Binding Job Offer," The Verdict, 2013 Issue
- Speaker, SHRM Oregon State Council Annual Labor & Employment Conference, 2008-2013
- Speaker, "2010 Legal Update: New Labor and Employment Laws That Affect Your Workplace," Oregon Health Care Association Conference, 2010
- Speaker, "Responding to Agency Complaints," Stoel Rives Client Seminar, 2010
- Speaker, "Current Topics for HR Professionals," Stoel Rives Client Seminar, 2009
- University of Oregon School of Law, J.D., 2008
Order of the Coif
- Portland State University, B.S., 2004, Sociology, summa cum laude
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit