Anthony R. Miles
Tony Miles is a partner who focuses his practice on health care law with an emphasis on health care regulation and technology. He provides corporate, transactional and regulatory advice to a broad range of clients and entities whose products and services include multi-specialty physician practices, specialty and retail pharmacies, diagnostic radiology, disease management, electronic patient communication, e-prescribing and database support for clinical trials.
Tony helps health industry clients conceive, negotiate and implement strategic affiliations to expand their service offerings through collaboration, alternative care delivery structures and innovative benefits program structures in compliance with federal health program rules such as Medicare Part D, anti-kickback and self-referral ("Stark") prohibitions and other fraud and abuse provisions. Tony also helps clients protect and manage sensitive individual health information in compliance with HIPAA, FDA electronic recordkeeping requirements, security breach notification requirements and other federal and state privacy and security requirements. He also advises clients with legal and regulatory requirements concerning the distribution and marketing of FDA-regulated drugs, biologics and devices.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Tony was a partner at K&L Gates LLP (2007-2009), was an associate with Preston Gates & Ellis LLP (1999-2006) and worked as a non-lawyer with the NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. in New York City, New York (1993-1994).
- Served as outside general counsel to specialty and multi-specialty physician practices and a free-standing diagnostic radiology provider.
- Chief outside privacy counsel for technology and business process outsourcing contractor balancing information security requirements under federal Privacy Act, Department of Defense and agency rules, and federal and state rules governing identifiable health information, genetic information and security breach issues.
- Primary outside health regulatory counsel for national retail and specialty pharmacies.
- Lead privacy counsel for management and successful resolution of data compromise and security breach matter involving records of nearly one million unique individuals.
- Assisted health care providers with strategic affiliations and joint ventures regarding clinical research and patient care, including analysis and advice regarding regulatory compliance with fraud and abuse, Stark, corporate practice of medicine and other federal and state regulatory requirements.
- Represented information technology companies and professional societies seeking changes to federal regulations regarding health care privacy, health-related research, and drug and device approval process.
- Assisted distributors and manufacturers of medical devices and distributor of biologics with FDA labeling requirements, cGMP compliance, federal health program reimbursement issues and FTC compliance requirements.
- Assisted CLIA lab with FDA labeling and direct-to-consumer marketing compliance.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Board Member and Member, Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- Named an Outstanding Young Healthcare Attorney by Nightingale Healthcare News, 2009
- Listed in Washington Super Lawyers® (Health Care), 2012
- Listed among Rising StarsSM (Health Care) by Washington Super Lawyers®, 2002-2008, 2011
- Named Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year by Washington State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, 2003
- Excellence in the Practice of Law Award, Loren Miller Bar Association, 2003
- Special Mention, Award of Excellence, Legal Arena, Butch Blum, 2002
- Past Chair, Washington State Bar Association, Judicial Recommendations Committee
- Past Member, Washington State Bar Association, Access to Justice, Technology Bill of Rights Implementation Task Force
- Member, Loren Miller Bar Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Health Law Section, American Bar Association
- "Regulatory and Compliance Issues for Employer-Based Sites," National Retail Clinic Summit, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2010
- "Different Strokes for Complying with Proliferating Information Security Laws," Western States Pension & Benefits Conference, Seattle, Washington, 2007
- "Business Associate Commonplaces, Complexities and Conundrums," HIPAA Security and Privacy Issues, Washington State Bar Association CLE, Seattle, Washington, 2007
- "Electronic Medical Records: A Legal Perspective — Privacy, Security and Other Legal Issues in Implementing Electronic Health Records," Healthcare Financial Management Association Annual Conference "Winds of Change," Honolulu, Hawaii, 2006
- "Practicing Health E-Law: Privacy Security and Other Topics in Health Information Technology," Fundamentals of Health Law CLE, American Health Lawyers Association, Chicago, Illinois, 2005
- "Privacy Issues in Healthcare Information," Understanding Electronic Commerce: The Impact of New Regulations, New Laws & New Agreements CLE, Practicing Law Institute, New York City and San Francisco, California, 2002
- "Hall Passes for Health Info?!? HIPAA and School District Administration," Washington Society of School Administrators, Skamania, Washington, 2002
- "HIPAA Privacy and Security for Employers," Health and the Information Age: Privacy, Security, Biotechnology and the Internet CLE, American Health Lawyers Association, Seattle, Washington, 2001
- Recipient, Connoisseur of the Arts Award, Central District Forum for Arts & Ideas, 2012
- Board member, Central District Forum for Arts & Ideas
- "Preparing for Meaningful Use Stage 2 Audits," General Counsel Agenda, Health Care Roundtable, The Advisory Board Company, Oct. 2012
- "Cheating Death Through Taxes: Chief Justice Roberts and the ACA," Washington Healthcare News, Aug. 2012
- "Details and Bedevilment: New Data Validate Concerns and Raise More Questions About ACOs," Washington Healthcare News, Aug. 2011
- "ACOs: Ready or Not, Here They Come?" (coauthor), Oregon Healthcare News, Apr. 2011
- "Final Rule for Group Practices that Provide Advanced Imaging Services," Stoel Rives Health Care Reform Law Alert, Dec. 2010
- "Data Security Remains Key Risk Management Issue for Insurers and Other Large Holders of PHI," Washington Healthcare News, Aug. 2010
- "Overpayment Liabilities for Medicare and Medicaid Providers, Suppliers and Plans," Stoel Rives Health Care Reform Law Alert, Apr. 2010
- "Group Practices Providing Advanced Imaging Services Face New Requirements," Stoel Rives Health Care Reform Law Alert, Apr. 2010
- "Convenient Health Care: Legal Considerations for a New Consumer-Driven Model," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Magazine, Mar. 2007
- "Collisions at the Intersection: Law and Bioinformatics," BNA Health Law Report, Feb. 2002
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1999, cum laude
- Yale University, B.A., 1993, with distinction
Print to Word
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court