Kristen T. Castaños
Kristen Castaños is a partner of the firm practicing in the Environment, Land Use and Natural Resources group. Her practice emphasizes land use, the California Environmental Quality Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, water rights, water quality, and municipal law.
Kristen was a shareholder (2004-2007) and associate (1999-2004) at Somach, Simmons & Dunn in Sacramento, California; an associate at Hatch and Parent in Santa Barbara, California (1998-1999); a legal intern at De Cuir & Somach in Sacramento (1997, 1998); a legal intern at Lang, Richert and Patch in Fresno, California (1997); and a law clerk for Judge Ruggero Aldisert, Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Santa Barbara (1996).
- Provide advice regarding Williamson Act issues related to developing solar projects on agricultural lands throughout the Central Valley, California.
- Provide land use and permitting due diligence opinions for acquisition of major thermal, solar and wind energy facilities.
- Provide CEQA and permitting advice for development of solar, wind, geothermal, and natural gas energy facilities throughout California.
- Successfully defended City of Sacramento and former Redevelopment Agency in CEQA challenge to large-scale, mixed-use redevelopment project at former Railyards site in downtown Sacramento.
- Former City Attorney, City of Ione – provided legal advice for all City departments and operations, including revisions to Municipal Code, update to Zoning Code, General Plan update, Wastewater Treatment Plant Master Plan project, subdivisions, and development agreements.
- County of Sacramento v. State Water Resources Control Board (2007) 153 Cal.App.4th 1579 (represented County in challenge to waste discharge requirements for publicly owned treatment works).
- Morongo Band of Mission Indians v. State Water Resources Control Board (2007) 62 Cal.Rptr.3d 492 (reversed) (represented Tribe in Superior Court and appellate proceedings in challenge to water rights revocation procedures).
- California Farm Bureau Federation v. California State Water Resources Control Board (2007) 146 Cal.App.4th 1126 (remanded 51 Cal.4th 421) (represented water right holders in challenge to newly imposed water right fees).
- California Farm Bureau Federation v. California Wildlife Conservation Board (2006) 143 Cal.App.4th 173 (represented real party in interest in successful challenge to State's improper use of CEQA exemption for habitat conservation project on Williamson Act lands).
- County of Colusa v. California Wildlife Conservation Board (2006) 145 Cal.App.4th 637 (represented County in successful recovery of attorneys' fees in CEQA action).
- Represent Colusa County in various state and federal proceedings related to development of landfill on Tribal property.
- Successfully represented Colusa County in arbitration proceedings to recover fees owed to County pursuant to reimbursement agreement with developer.
- Represent various municipalities in State's imposition of municipal stormwater permits. Negotiate permit terms and enforcement actions with Regional Water Quality Control Board, and represent agencies in lawsuits challenging permit terms.
- Represented developer of proposed mixed use development in proceedings before California Delta Protection Commission.
- Represented developers of two separate race track facilities regarding permitting requirements, compliance with CEQA and defense of CEQA lawsuits.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Selected by Best Lawyers® as Sacramento Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- Selected by Best Lawyers® as Sacramento Water Law Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- Member, Association of Women in Water, Energy and the Environment
- Member, Women of Wind Energy (WoWE), San Francisco Bay Area and San Diego Chapters
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Environmental Law, Water Law), 2009-2013
- Listed in Northern California Super Lawyers® (Environmental Law), 2012, 2011, 2010
- Executive Committee, California State Bar Environmental Law Section, 2004-2010; Chair 2008-2009; Vice Chair 2007-2008; Secretary 2006-2007
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association, Environmental Law Section, 1999-2011
- Editor, California Land Use Policy and Law Reporter, 2007-2010
- Editor, California Water Law and Policy Reporter, 2004-2007
- "Utility-Scale Solar Projects in California - The Keys to Development Permits in Desert Areas and on Farmland," EUEC 2012, Phoenix, Arizona, Feb. 2012
- "CEQA Court Cases and Other Legal Challenges in Wind Development," Women of Wind Energy, San Diego, California, Feb. 2011
- Program co-chair, Second Annual Solar Power Project Development Conference, San Diego, California, Nov. 9, 2010
- "Understanding and Avoiding Potential Environment Pitfalls," Infocast Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit, Mar. 2010
- "The California Water Deal of 2009," Stoel Rives Webinar Series, Nov. and Dec. 2009
- "Introduction to CEQA," 2009 Environmental Law Conference at Yosemite, Fish Camp, California, Oct. 16, 2009
- "CEQA Update: A Perennial Favorite," 2009 Environmental Law Conference at Yosemite, Fish Camp, California, Oct. 18, 2009
- "Roundtable Discussion: Advanced CEQA Litigation Tactics," 2009 Environmental Law Conference at Yosemite, Fish Camp, California, Oct. 18, 2009
- Annual Spring Roundtables, (land use program cochair), State Bar of California Environmental Law Section, June 12-14, 2009, June 27-29, 2008, June 9-11, 2006
- Sacramento County Environmental Law Section and State Bar of California Environmental Law Section Joint Luncheon (program cochair), Sacramento, California, Jan. 29, 2009, Jan. 18, 2008, Jan. 25, 2007, Jan. 19, 2006
- "Development in the Delta: The Old Sugar Mill Specific Plan," California Water Law & Policy Conference, San Francisco, California, June 11-12, 2007
- Volunteer, King Hall CARES, University of California, Davis School of Law
- Founding Member, Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association of Sacramento (MAMASacramento)
- "Wind Projects Enter New Permitting Reality: Policies addressing wind development on federal lands may favor the easiest – rather than the best – projects" (coauthor), North American Windpower, Oct. 2011
- "CEQA Realities for Project Developers" (coauthor), The Law Journal 2011 Supplement, Fresno Business Journal, July 29, 2011
- "Section 2 - Permitting" Case Study: A Wind Development Project in the State of California (coauthor), Stoel Rives LLP, June 2011 (PDF - available in English and Chinese)
- "State Water Resources Control Board Initiates First Step Toward Developing Flow Criteria for the Delta Ecosystem," Stoel Rives Water Law Alert, Dec. 2009
- "The California Water Deal of 2009: An Historic Turning Point," Stoel Rives Water Law Alert, Nov. 2009
- "Ailing California Works to Solve Wind Slowdown" (coauthor), North American Windpower, Oct. 2009
- "Notice of proposed CEQA regulations on Greenhouse Gas Emissions," Stoel Rives Environmental Law Alert, Aug. 2009
- "California Water Rights Fees Overturned," The Water Report, Apr. 15, 2007
- University of California, Davis, School of Law, J.D., 1998
- University of California, Davis, B.A., International Relations, 1994
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California